Petition to Congress
Create Safe Spaces for LGBT Students
New research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates that gay, lesbian and bisexual young people are shockingly underserved and face health risks on every front. When compared to their straight peers, gay, lesbian and bisexual youth are:
- 5 times more likely to have been injured in a physical fight.
– 3 times more likely to have experienced dating violence.
– 3 times more likely to have been raped.
– 4 times more likely to have missed school because they feared for their safety.
– 4 times more likely to have attempted suicide.
– 5-7 times more likely to have used heavy drugs.
– In essence, the report says we are treating an entire generation of GLBTQ young people as if they don’t matter.
Thankfully, research shows that programs to create safe spaces for GLBTQ youth can be a critical intervention. Anti-bullying and safe school programs that explicitly seek to meet the needs of GLBTQ young people can combat homophobia and transphobia and lead to much better health, social and educational outcomes. We know you’re doing great work in your community to make it safer for GLBTQ youth. It’s time for Congress to do their part.
Contact Congress today. Ask your representatives to support the Safe Schools Improvement Act. As politicians wait to pass these two pieces of critical legislation, young people across the U.S. are paying the price.
You can send this alert link to friends and family: