You May Also Like:
May 24, 2011
As much as I understand that fandom is all about loving an artist’s sound no matter what kind of music he or she puts out, I tip my hat to Beyonce fans for insisting that her relatively-new single, ‘Run the World (Girls)’ is an awesome song. A friend of mine heard it first and text me to tell me how busy it was – “I heard like 30 different instruments in the first 30 seconds. I swear I even heard a light saber in there somewhere”. For someone who’s a fan of Major Lazer, hearing this ungodly mash-up of ‘Pon De Floor’, a drum line, and God knows what else, it just makes me chuckle to hear anyone talk about how awesome it is. Without further ado, here are 5 reasons why I do not like ‘Run the World (Girls)’.
1. In my humble opinion, it’s just a shitty song disguised as an anthem for female empowerment. That’s the gist of it.
2. For all the posturing about female empowerment, the video still pushes the whole in-order-to-be-sexy-and-badass-I-must-wear-lingerie-and-gyrate-like-a-stripper agenda. I didn’t see one regular-looking woman in that video. Everyone was toned and slim like Victoria’s Secret angels and wore at most a size 4.
3. I’m sick and tired of all the sexual imagery. Can’t this woman do an entire video with all her clothes on? Again, the lingerie. What does that have to do with running the world? Can we have just one video where Beyonce isn’t writhing semi-naked in some kind of skintight, almost crotch less wonder that screams at every woman “You’re a fatty ‘cos you don’t look like this” If B oozed any more sex-appeal she’d be a puddle of pheromones and lube.
Whatever happened to ‘Nasty Girl’? You know,“Nasty put some clothes on, I told ya/Don’t walk out your house without no clothes on, I told ya…/Nasty put some clothes on, you lookin’ stank/Nasty where’s your pride, you should be ashamed…/Hard…for women like me who try to have some integrity/You make it hard…for girls like myself who respect themselves/And have dignity"
But I guess that doesn’t matter when you’re a diva and all. Those lyrics apply only to us common folk.
4. I don’t know about you, but in order to run the world I don’t need to be “so hood like this” or “run this mutha”. Frankly speaking, I don’t need to RUN anything. Sneaking in a line about college grads and a 9 to 5 job doesn’t make it any better.
Felonious Munk has something to say to all the ‘bad bitches’ out there who think they’re special because they have a degree and a job like everyone else."This goes out to all my girls that’s in the club rocking the latest/Who will buy it for themselves and get more money later"
Yeah that’s smart. I forgot that it’s always better to be fashionable even if it means maxing out credit cards and living paycheck to paycheck. Silly me.
5. Even while she’s hollering about how girls run the world because they’re so awesome, she’s still doing the whole ‘come hither’ thing, slinking around the boys like Ursula from ‘The Little Mermaid’ (although much better looking)."Boy I’m just playing, come here baby/Hope you still like me, If you hate me/My persuasion can build a nation/Endless power, with our love we can devour/You’ll do anything for me"
*This is me confused* Why is your army doing the sexy version of the ‘Stanky Legg’ during a standoff with the SWAT team dudes?
These are just a few things that stood out to me when I watched the video. I already watched it twice and refuse to do so ever again so feel free to check it out and contribute your own opinion.Categories: Uncategorized