You May Also Like:
Feb 21, 2013
Categories: Gender and Stereotypes, Racism, Religion and Faith, Social Justice and Human Rights, Young People
- What America Hasn’t Learned 70 Years After Japanese Internment (Colorlines) – February 17th marked “the 70th anniversary of President Franklin Roosevelt’s signing of Executive Order 9066, which led to the forced internment of more than 120,000 Japanese-Americans who lived along the West Coast. The order came after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. In the wake of the attack, Japanese-Americans were immediately cast as a threat too dangerous to be allowed to live freely.”
- a hijabi can…be a figure skater (Hijabican) – the first-ever hijabi figure skater.
- A Conversation With Rihanna’s Hair Stylist Ursula Stephen (HuffPo) – A really important article about the significance of black hair. It also makes Rihanna kind of a progressive badass.
- the bad dominicana: On importance and substance (Tumblr) – “Journalists” are stealing from bloggers on Tumblr and refusing to acknowledge said bloggers as credible sources. Whoa!
- A school somewhere in the US tried to pull a sexist stunt on Valentine’s day and the awsum wimmin smashed it to bits! (Tumblr)